Women's Health Clinic is now
available at Partners MS Center!
This new clinical program is
focused on issues unique to our female patients with multiple sclerosis, and is
directed by Dr. Maria Houtchens, Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard
Medical School, and an experienced MS specialist. She will help address
and manage specific concerns of our female patients around family planning,
infertility, pregnancy management, post-partum and nursing management, as well
schedule your visit, please, call 617-525-6550 and ask to be seen at Women's
Health Clinic by Dr. Houtchens.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who would be appropriate for a
consultation at Women's Health Clinic?
1. MS patients thinking about family planning
2. MS patients who are currently pregnant
3. MS patients who have recently delivered
4. MS patients who are unable to get pregnant due to prior MS-related
treatments or other infertility concerns
5. MS patients who are menopausal (either naturally, or due to prior MS-related
- What would be the focus of an
appointment at Women's Health Clinic?
1. discussion of genetic risk
2. expectations for MS management in pregnancy with an
individualized approach to each case in terms of treatment strategies, time off
medications, safety of staying off therapies, etc
3. discussion of pregnancy outcomes, lactation issues, post-partum
follow-up (MRI, other tests, restart of MS treatments)
4. MS prognosis post-delivery
5. menopause management
- Can I continue to see my primary
neurologist after this visit?
- Yes, it is expected that your long-term MS care will be continued with your
MS specialist. You will not need to switch doctors to benefit from this
service. You can come for a one-time consultation, or be seen at the
Women's Clinic until your specific issues have been fully addressed.